More and more of us are spending time at home, so we’ve compiled some ideas and videos on how you can keep active when you’re at home, if you are well enough. Staying active is really important for all of our mental health and wellbeing.
Advice from Government:
✔ Social distancing – find advice here
✔ Avoid non-essential travel – including working from home if you can – which means our routines are changing.
✔ We would also like to stress the importance of washing your hands. Watch this to see how it should be done!
Sport England say, “staying active is more important than ever right now, and even if you’re mostly in your house at the moment, there are plenty of ways you can still do so.” They have produced some handy tips and exercise ideas to complete at home. These include walking ideas, challenges and videos to follow. Check them out here!
We can’t come together, but through technology we can!
Low impact exercises are easier on your joints and improves balance and stability.
Gentle exercise includes: walking, yoga, seated exercises, strength and balance exercises. These activities are ideal if you aren’t very active but want to improve your health, lift your mood and remain independent.
There are lots of ways to keep active within the home itself. Whether that is doing seated exercises, stretching and walking around the house more or challenging family members to a step challenge.
- Seated and strength activity from NHS
- Keep active with gardening!
- Join Oti Mabuse from Strictly Come Dancing!
- Lets Make Movement Your Mission: online & Facebook
- AndersonEnts live online disco’s!
- Active Life in Southend online classes.
- Join in with Essex Fit Mums workouts!
- Keep fit and healthy with Cezara
- myHealthHub’s online community group are offering stretching and over 60’s free workouts
- Have a foam roller? Check out Kinetic Revolution‘s foam rolling tutorials
- Yoga with Martyna
- The Oak Rooms online Yoga
- Runners World have lots in store for you!
- Check out Free Breathe and Stretch Session with Fit School
- Try out Pilates moves during live videos from Pilatiz
- Download the ‘Get up and Go’ app or visit Move it or Lose it!
- Yoga with Wellness Warrior KT
- Parasport has an online home workout, suitable for wheelchair users. See below.
Keep the whole family active with these simple steps
Now the kids are off school, it is important to keep them active too, so why not get the family together to keep moving!
- Do your own Daily Mile around the house or garden! Get active for 15 minutes together.
- The Body Coach, Jo Wicks could become the nations P.E teacher! He will be putting videos on his YouTube Channel every week day at 9am for you and the family to do at home.
- Free LIVE child and parent yoga
- Join Oti Mabuse at 11:30am for dancing!
- Join Tyrrell Kidz for fun, interactive and creative ideas to do with the kids!
- Fun fitness videos from Coastal Kidz here on Facebook
- Learn whilst staying active at home with Super Movers by BBC Teach
- Try PE from home with Thrive Outdoors
- Free family workouts with GB Fitness
- Try out the Cosmic Kids Yoga sessions
- Make exercise fun with the kids using the CBBCs workouts!
- Check out the Lawn Tennis Association exercises to hone your tennis skills while getting crucial exercise.
- Disney and This Girl Can have teamed up to create ‘Disney Dance Alongs’! Check others out here!
High energy activity makes you breathe hard and fast.
If you are working at this level, you will not be able to say more than a few words without pausing for breath. High energy exercise includes: running, HIIT workouts and martial arts.
- We are spoilt for choice with all these great fitness providers offering online workouts! Check some out:
- Get those steps up with Fit Steps dance workouts
- This Girl Can Ambassadors workouts here
- Try some indoor Tough Mudder workouts!
- Kinetic Revolution are offering a free running 30 day programme!
- Daily live sessions from F45 filming at Tottenham Court Road
- myHealthHub’s online HIIT workouts
- Davina McCall ‘own your goals’ routines and nutrition
- Runners World have lots in store for you!
For our mental health and wellbeing we need to keep active
It is so important, that during these uncertain times we stay active and connected. For positive mental health we need to keep moving, but understand that our anxieties, stress and worries are heightened. Take some of the steps below to keep in a positive head space as well as participating in some physical activity.
- Keep calm and Corona on with Fi Bool, for looking after your mental and physical health
- Check out Livewell in Essex for guides and tips on how to stay healthy during the outbreak.
- Walk and Talk for Men have a group on Facebook to support those who need someone to chat to during this time.
- Check out some Mindfulness and Guided Meditation with Lee Mills
- Motivated Minds in Basildon are putting lots of positive things to help you through these uncertain times on their Facebook page. Check it out here. They also shared the Action for Happiness ‘Coping Calendar’ and we think it is great! Give it a go.
- Every Mind Matters have some great tips and advice on staying at home during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Don’t forget we have our fabulous local Mind centres who are always available to speak to and get support from.
Psychologist Susan David shares wisdom on how to build resilience, courage and joy in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic.
TELL US MORE: