Movement and activity are the key to maintaining an independent lifestyle. Older adults who participate in any amount of physical activity gain some health benefits, this includes:
- Helps maintain cognitive function
- Reduces cardiovascular risk
- Helps maintain ability to carry out daily living activities
- Improves mood and can improve self-esteem
- Reduces the risk of falls.
It’s never too late to start being active and moving more, but if you are starting out it is recommended to begin with lower impact, lower intensity exercises, to build confidence and strength and avoid injury.
To help you take the first step Active Essex have produced ‘A guide to being active in and around your home’, with a focus on strength and balance.