About the Project
- Workshops held in four districts in Essex.
- Active Essex consulted the Essex Disability Sport County Forum about the coaching needs of deliverers working with disabled participants.
- Following this consultation, a programme of disability courses was organised. It included:
- Boccia leaders
- Goalball leaders
- How to coach disabled people in sport
- Inclusive communications
- Coaching deaf people in sport
- Inclusive coaching
- 66 coaches were upskilled.
- 7 courses were delivered.
- 531 disabled participants benefited.
Workshop example: How to coach disabled people in sport (Sports Coach UK)
The workshop aimed to answer the commonly asked questions about disabled sports participants. showing how, with a few minor adjustments to the way coaches work, their coaching can become more inclusive and effective.
- 15 coaches attended.
- 181 disabled participants benefited.
- 8 different organisations were engaged.
- 93% of attendees found the workshop useful.
“I will implement changes in my session plans and adapt my delivery, ensuring I make eye contact and change my methods of communication.” Premier Sport (participant)
“We have benefited by understanding the needs of the individuals to help us ensure we are fully inclusive” Whitehall Bowls Club (participant)
“We will adapt our basketball sessions to meet the needs of the players.” 5 Star Basketball Academy (participant)
Click here for more info on Sports Coach UK workshops.