About the Project
- Active Southend worked with Project 49, which provides services for adults with learning disabilities.
- Participants took part in different sport taster sessions, accessed through an annual Disability Open Event in September 2015.
- One of the sessions was a Brazilian dance session, where those who took part expressed an interest in taking part on a regular basis.
- The Get Active For All funding supported these dance sessions, delivered by BrazilArte and starting in November 2015.
- The sessions are used to improve both fitness and social skills, which will improve participants’ quality of life.
- An average of 10 participants per session.
- 100% of participants stated they had gained new skills.
- 100% stated that their confidence was boosted.
- 100% discovered something new that they liked doing.
- 100% stated their physical fitness had improved.
- 100% felt part of something.
- 100% will carry on taking part.
- 100% made new friends.
“I love dancing; I can express myself and it helps to calm me.” Jamie (participant)
“It helps me to lose weight, it is just brilliant!” Rachael (participant)
“I like the uniforms and being part of a great club.” David (participant)