About the Project
- Active Essex delivered a workplace netball league for workplace teams in Chelmsford.
- 7 workplace teams entered the league.
- The league ran for 8 weeks with matches taking place every Tuesday lunchtime at Riverside Ice and Leisure Centre.
- Each match was 16 minutes long.
- There were 5 players in a team (with a maximum of 2 subs) and teams were mixed genders with a maximum of 2 males per team.
- There were 40 participants in total.
- 100% felt part of something.
- 85% felt the matches helped them de-stress.
- 90% felt an increase in productivity when returning to work.
- 80% felt re-energised when returning to work.
- 77% found a sport they enjoyed.
- 77% made new friends.
- 70% reported their confidence was boosted.
- 62% reported their physical fitness improved.
Participants were asked to rate their level of fitness before and after the 8-week programme. Specifically, they were asked the following question: ‘On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your level of physical fitness (1 being very unfit and 10 being very fit)?
Before the programme, participants gave an average score of 6. After the 8 week programme, participants rated an average score of 7.
The greatest increase in self-reported fitness levels was from a lady who rated herself 4 at the start and 7 at the end of the programme.
“It makes me do exercise at lunch time. I enjoyed doing a sport which I haven’t done for years.” Emma (participant)
“It was great getting a team from the department involved in doing something fun together.” Stacey K (participant)
“The best thing about the league was meeting new people and increased fitness.” Victoria (participant)
“Great for team building, fitness and a reason to get out of the office at lunch.” Stacey L (participant)
For more info on Workplace Challenge, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.