Physical activity has a huge potential to enhance our wellbeing. Even a short burst of 10 minutes’ brisk walking increases our mental alertness, energy and positive mood. Participation in regular physical activity can increase our self-esteem and can reduce stress and anxiety.
Physical activity can help:
- Reduce stress levels – exercise can help to reduce your cortisol levels
- Reduced anxiety – when you exercise your brain releases endorphins which can help calm you down
- Reduced risk of depression – exercise can help to improve your mood
- Improve social wellbeing – whilst exercising you might meet new people and develop new friendships
- Boost brainpower – exercise can help to improve cognitive functioning including decision making and learning
Active Essex are partners of the Mind Regional network in East of England which bring together organisations from across the sport, physical activity and mental health sectors. The Regional Network work at a local to regional level to increase the number of groups who are equipped with the skills to support and engage people with mental health problems in physical activity.
Groups that help provide positive mental wellbeing support:
There are some fantastic groups within Essex, Southend and Thurrock that offer support for those who have poor mental health or need a little pick-me-up. Take a look at some of these groups below.