Active Essex is the Sport and Physical Activity Partnership for Greater Essex.
Active Essex is one of 43 Active Partnerships across England, working with community partners to increase participation in sport and physical activity across Greater Essex.
We are a publicly funded organisation, hosted by Essex County Council, whose aim is to make sport and physical activity accessible to all Essex residents.
To get 1 million people active by driving and sustaining participation in physical activity and sport.
Working with our partners, we will create the opportunities and resources to achieve this, reducing inactivity and developing positive attitudes to health and wellbeing in communities across Greater Essex.
You can find out more about our vision and mission and how we plan to achieve these here.
- Sharing information about activities, events and opportunities for people to get active across the county
- Supporting the professional development of those working within / or interested in the Sport and Leisure sector. This includes managing the Active Essex and Coach Core Apprenticeship programme, running training courses for coaches and referees and sharing further development courses
- Signposting funding and grant opportunities for organisations, community initiatives and individuals
- Supporting schools across Greater Essex to increase participation amongst children and young people
- Increasing accessibility and raising participation within disability sport, through our All Together ambassador scheme
- Driving female participation in sport and physical activity through our ‘This Girl Can Essex’ ambassador scheme and ‘Women Like Us’ festivals
- Working as a key partner in the delivery of the Essex Local Delivery Pilot (ELDP). Essex is one of only 12 places in the country to be part of this game changing Sport England initiative and will benefit from a share of around £100 million of National Lottery funding to support participation in the most deprived areas of the county
- Effective collaboration and delivery with partners and localities
- Being innovative in how we work
- Making positive, measurable impacts in what we do
- Using our insight, passion and commitment to make a difference
It is central to the Active Essex ethos that physical activity and sport should be open and accessible to everybody. We strongly value diversity and strive to ensure that opportunities are available to all but do recognise that there are inequalities in participation opportunities which affect specific sections of our communities. We will commit time and resources to support these communities.
Equality and the needs of our population are given full regard in all aspects of our work. Active Essex will embed equality and inclusion into the development of the annual Delivery Plan that accompanies our Strategic Plan. We are committed to working with our key partners to ensure that actions are in line with good practice so that equality is and remains an integral part of all aspects of our work.
Active Essex is hosted by Essex County Council and abides by the council’s regulations and guidance. The full Essex County Council Diversity and Equality Policy can be found in the council document Comprehensive Diversity and Equality Policy.
We are committed to ensuring that current and potential service users, employees (including volunteer helpers) or job applicants are not discriminated against on the grounds of social circumstances or background, gender, race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, sexuality, age or religion. The principles of tolerance, understanding and respect for others are central to identity as an organisation.
We have adopted a target of, and take all appropriate actions to encourage, a minimum of 30% of each gender on the Active Essex Board; we demonstrate a strong and public commitment to progressing towards achieving gender parity and greater diversity generally on the Active Essex Board, including, but not limited to, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic diversity and disability.